I found the Final Empire (Mistborn) after reading a the "Stormlight" series. I really liked the Stormlight books. Its been a while between reading these books and writing down my thoughts so I am trying to jot down my thoughts so to provide the proper background of what I was looking for and what I found. I was looking for another series to read after Game of Thrones and re-reading the Ender's Game series. I picked up Brandon Sanderson for the first time with the Stormlight series and was impressed. I appreciate the "soulfulness" that he writes into his characters. The characters in the book are classic heroes they are driven by their morality which he develops very well but they are affected by their circumstances which they struggle with through out their development.
So after reading Stormlight, I was hoping to find something similar to Stormlight. I wanted another story that had a world where you routed for the character because they showed the moral character to become a better person. Characters that have purpose, ambition for a cause not themselves and the indomitable will to fight through the challenges to achieve that purpose.
I struggled with starting Mistborn because I liked Stormlight so much that I was concerned since that Mistborn was Sanderson's first series published (of his original work not collaborating and finishing Wheel of Time from Robert Jordan) that it would be a lesser work than Stormlight. I was thankfully wrong about that.
Mistborn surpassed my expectations. Again I loved the Stormlight Series but I think Mistborn is a superior work.
Sanderson does a great job of creating characters that begin in humble or severely disadvantaged situations. They have the the desire and moral code to do the right things but they also are faced with being situations that they have to make decisions about what to do to survive versus what they know to be right. Vin the protagonist of Mistborn faces such dilemmas throughout the Mistborn series. Sanderson does a fantastic job creating empathy for the plight of Vin. She is faced with the challenge that her survival instincts tell her to run away, not trust, lie low. But she knows that "survival is insufficient." She has to trust and build a new family in order to find her humanity.
I highly enjoyed the book and series.
So after reading Stormlight, I was hoping to find something similar to Stormlight. I wanted another story that had a world where you routed for the character because they showed the moral character to become a better person. Characters that have purpose, ambition for a cause not themselves and the indomitable will to fight through the challenges to achieve that purpose.
I struggled with starting Mistborn because I liked Stormlight so much that I was concerned since that Mistborn was Sanderson's first series published (of his original work not collaborating and finishing Wheel of Time from Robert Jordan) that it would be a lesser work than Stormlight. I was thankfully wrong about that.
Mistborn surpassed my expectations. Again I loved the Stormlight Series but I think Mistborn is a superior work.
Sanderson does a great job of creating characters that begin in humble or severely disadvantaged situations. They have the the desire and moral code to do the right things but they also are faced with being situations that they have to make decisions about what to do to survive versus what they know to be right. Vin the protagonist of Mistborn faces such dilemmas throughout the Mistborn series. Sanderson does a fantastic job creating empathy for the plight of Vin. She is faced with the challenge that her survival instincts tell her to run away, not trust, lie low. But she knows that "survival is insufficient." She has to trust and build a new family in order to find her humanity.
I highly enjoyed the book and series.
Comments