3.1 Recognize that mistakes are a natural part of the evolutionary process
Principles, Work Principles, Page 351 Ray Dalio
Not sure if this appeals to me because I have had some catastrophic failures and it makes me feel better or because it is truth. I think it is the latter as invention requires failure and audacious success requires taking and managing enormous risks that sometimes have to be dealt with.
I read somewhere, perhaps in this book that Edison said, "I have not failed. I only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
If you don't mind being wrong on the way to being right you'll learn a lot - and increase your effectiveness. But if you can't tolerate being wrong, you won't grow, you'll make yourself and everyone around you miserable, and your work environment will be marked by petty back-biting and malevolent barbs rather than by a healthy, honest search for truth.
You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true. Jeff Bezos described it well when he said, "You have to have a willingness to repeatedly fail. If you don't have a willingness to fail, you're going to have to be very careful not to invent."
...it requires much more character to fail, change, and then succeed than to just succeed. People who are just succeeding must not be pushing their limits. Of course the worst are those who fail and don't recognize it and don't change.
Principles, Work Principles, Page 351 Ray Dalio
Not sure if this appeals to me because I have had some catastrophic failures and it makes me feel better or because it is truth. I think it is the latter as invention requires failure and audacious success requires taking and managing enormous risks that sometimes have to be dealt with.
I read somewhere, perhaps in this book that Edison said, "I have not failed. I only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Comments