Skip to main content

2025 Aramco Houston Half Marathon - Sunday, January 19, 2025


I ran the Houston Half Marathon on January 16, 2025.  Very happy with my time of 2h 15 min.  I had set an aggressive target of 10 min / mile.  However, with travel to EBC and Morocco, my training was not as consistent as it should have been.  Regardless, I am very happy with the result. My official time was 10:21 min / mile the Garmin tracked me at 10:15 min / mile which given the conditions of below freezing at start I am satisfied with.





Photos


Pre-Race:

I woke up around 4:45 am, not having slept well due to anticipation. I had coffee and almond butter, then got ready.


I parked at my friend Gary Bucek’s apartment at Park Place One, right across from George R Brown – a perfect spot. The first floor of George R Brown was packed with runners. There were hundreds of porta-potties, but the lines were crazy.


I waited for Corral D to close and tried to stay warm. I couldn't find my colleague Marlies and her group because it was too cold to use my phone. I shredded my outer layer and left it on the fence.  Unfortunately, it still took another 5-10 minutes before we started moving up so I missed having that jacket for some additional warmth.  


Finally, we started moving forward slowly. I managed to use a porta-potty just before the race began. It was still cold, but the sun was up. So many people shed their extra layers before the race.  There were giant trash bags of clothing that lined the corrals being scooped up by race volunteers.  Hundreds of blankets, hoodies, and jackets; I’m sure the city will donate these items to the shelters.  As our corral finally got going I set my watch and started running. I started the Garmin activity at 7:37AM. 


First Third Miles 1-4

We started running north on Congress and then turned onto Washington. The sun was up, but it was still cold. I felt good and ran at a good pace. Ran by the businesses on east Washington.  It was interesting to see them in the morning light as we usually see them in the evening. They seemed older and historical as I ran by them.  There were lots of spectators lining the streets. Most of them gravitated to the sunnier sections looking for that additional warmth.  The streets were still lined with excess layers that people shed off as they warmed.  I was afraid I started a bit too fast trying to clear into open space as it was quite crowded getting from Congress out of Houston downtown on Washington ave.  We turned south on Waugh Street and crossed Allen Park.  And then west on Inwood/West Grey through River Oaks. I took a gel pack at mile 4 just to keep fueled up. 


Second Third - Miles 5-8

We turned south on Kirby Dr and ran down Upper Kirby District.  Started to feel a bit of soreness in my calves but I just pushed through to keep pace with the group of people I was with.  Weather was sunny and felt warm enough to take my gloves off.  I had the handwarmers in and began to feel that it was too warm.  Stuffed it away in the back of my bike jersey.  I was happy with the choice to use my bike jersey. The additional pockets are very handy to stuff my gel packs and other stuff.  I was worried that it would bounce around but worked out great.  I took another gel pack and banana at mile 8 and used the restroom.  Picked up another GU on the way. Next time I think I will carry only two gels and pick up stuff on the route. 


We turned east on Bissonnet.  I felt good and just in the zone.  The soreness in my calves worked its way out so just got into the zone.  For some reason my Peloton program shut down.  I was doing the Suzi Chan 90 minute run class.  I must have bumped the phone and it stopped.  I was happy just to run and hear the ambient noises.  It did help me to get centered into the moment.  Ran like that for another 15-30 minutes and then wanted a bit of music boost so I turned on my Spotify Cruise Running Playlist.


Last Third - Miles 9-13.1

Feeling good going into the last ⅓.  The weather was turning a bit chillier as we started going through the West University area.  I thought it was the shade at first then we got to main street and the cold wind started blowing directly at us.  I put my gloves back on.  Ran around the big fountain on Main street near Rice University.  As we came around heading north on Main the cold wind hit us head on.  I leaned into running a bit faster just as a challenge and started moving ahead of people.  The roads on Main were pretty bad and I clipped my toe on a crack which sent a jolt through my calf.  That was a close call as I could have tripped but also I was nervous that I would get a cramp.  I just kept pushing thinking that I needed to finish fast.

  

Around mile 11, I started to push it and ran sub-10-minute miles to the finish. I felt good but I was concerned that I would expend too much energy and have nothing left for a last push.  However, when I got onto Allen Parkway, and I could see Downtown I just figured to start running and pushing pace.  I was running pretty fast through the finish.  


Finish and Post Race

The last leg was tough because of the wind, but overall it was a really good race.  So many people!  This is the largest athletic event I participated in.  Even MS-150 did not feel this big to me.  Happy they had chocolate milk at the end to help recovery.  I got my medal and shirt.  Went to pick up my gear bag and sat down to organize everything.  

 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highlights from Elon Musk interview with Lex Fridman

#252 – Elon Musk: SpaceX, Mars, Tesla Autopilot, Self-Driving, Robotics, and AI Very interesting interview of Elon Musk by Lex.  Elon's statements about supply chain and manufacturing are very insightful. Here are some of the quotes. "Physics is a law and everything else is a recommendation - lots of people can break laws but nothing can break the physics" (except for the creatures in The Expanse who can change the mass of electrons and the speed of light). First-principles analysis can be applied to any aspect of life.  Let's boil things down to the first principles then things that we are confident are true at a foundational level and that sets an axiomatic base and then you reason up from there. and then you cross-check your conclusion against the axiomatic truth. Some basics of physics you need to check if you violated could be conservation of energy or momentum... Another good physics thing is thinking about things in the limit.  If you take a particular thing an...

Cypress Half Marathon November 09 2025

I ran the Cypress Half Marathon on Sunday November 09 2025.  Stayed the night at Mom and Dad's house.  While training for this event I was running on October 16 and I tripped and sprained my ankle.  It was the worst sprain I can remember.  I did not run for nearly a week after this as I as nursed the ankle in an ice bucket and took ibuprofen to help with the swelling and pain.  That really impacted my training as I could not start training until after I came back from Norway on September 17th which was 7 weeks out from the date of the race. Also I had signed up to run the Sugarland half on Sunday October 12, 2025 but we had planned to visit Saagar for his birthday so we were out in SFO for that weekend.  It was probably for the best as that would have been only 4 weeks to train.  I was able to do the Marina run club with Saagar and get a 6 mile run in that weekend.  After coming back that week I was expecting to train hard straight up to the ...

Ramesh Pateder June 1, 1941 (kind of 10/14/1942) - May 5, 2026

Ramesh "Ray" Pateder June 1, 1941 – May 5, 2026 Kunjarao, Gujarat, India • Cypress, Texas Ramesh "Ray" Pateder, 84, of Cypress, Texas, passed away peacefully at home on May 5, 2026, surrounded by his loving family. He lived a life defined by courage, curiosity, and an unshakable belief in what was possible. https://hhhcrewchief.github.io/RameshPateder/#1 Born and raised in the small village of Kunjarao, Gujarat, India, Ray came of age with dreams that reached well beyond what the world around him offered. In 1962, with a suit on his back and a garland of flowers around his neck, he boarded a plane for the United States — leaving everything familiar to begin his studies in Rolla, Missouri. The journey from rural India to the American Midwest might as well have been a journey to another planet, but he embraced every part of it. Ray's professional career began in Cleveland, Ohio, with Sherwin-Williams, where he refined the technical expertise that would define...