I finished the 7+ hour Lex Fridman interview had with Balaji Srinivasan. Srinivasan is articulate and has deep interesting insights on many diverse topics from publishing, digital property rights, government, Web 3.0, FDA, free speech - de-platforming, the list goes on and on. Lex related that Balaji's Twitter is filled with interesting information and after listening to the podcast I am thinking that it may be worth a visit. Even thought I have not logged into my Twitter account for years.
The main topic that Balaji wanted to discuss was his new book The Network State. Was not very interested in the topic but after listening to the podcast and developing an appreciation for how expansive Balaji's interest are; I started to flip through the book. It is published on line at the link above, or available through Kindle or by PDF download for free.
Here are some of the more interesting things I pulled from the marathon podcast. Kudos to Lex for extracting so much information and bouncing through so many topics with Srinivasan.
"Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Reach"
7:31:25
Build your own voice. b/c outsourcing that voice to somebody else puts it through a distorting filter that they will optimize to clicks of the distorting thing is not in ones own interest. I would rather speak for my own self in my own words because the choice of words is very important.
The importance of creating your own content and telling your own story is that if you don't tell your own story the story will be told for you.
History is told by the winner but the corollary to that is if you don't write your own history you will not be the winner.
Earlier he talked about the importance of computer science and statistics:
Within 10-20 years nearly all branches of science will be for all intents and purposes a branch of computer science; computational physics, computational chemistry, computational biology computational medicine, computational archeology... this will come through using computational tools such as realistic simulation, big data analytics, machine learning etc...
Comments