This is something to flesh out later.
Today I was going through old CDs of digital pictures that I have collected over the past 20 years. It is funny how I have made the time and effort to back up these files across multiple (10s of CDs) over the years hoping that some future me will have the wherewithal to collect, collate, and consolidate into a useful accessible system with permanence.
As lazy as I feel sometimes about doing the needful, I finally took the time finish this. I collected all of the backup CDs that I had from 2003, 2004, 2005 (others I had already copied onto my photo store hard drive) and backed it up on Google photos.
The inspiration was a Pixel 3 deadline of unlimited uploads of photos from the Pixel 3 end in February. So as usual, the trigger or kick in the butt was the incentive to make use of a free service's window of opportunity closing.
With that as I was checking photos on the CD against what was already on Google photos, I was reliving old memories. The human brain is really good at removing extra memories. We (or at least I) remember only the broadest things like we went to Spain, and birthday parties, or camping trips. But I may not remember all of the people who were there or other esoteric details.
My Dad impressed upon me the love of photography. We used to get frustrated that he always wanted to stop for a picture everywhere. But I can see now the value of that. As I look back I can appreciate so much about the things I have experienced. As I grow older and begin to fret about things like forgetting things (dementia and Alzheimer's) I hope I will appreciate the work I do today and not be too judgmental towards my younger self for not doing a better job.
Comments