Here is a bit from David Foster Wallace's commencement speech at Kenyon College back in 2005. I think I first noticed DFW while reading How to Avoid a Climate Disaster, by Bill Gates (I also saw Saagar created a similar post with a similar conclusion.) Gates referenced a story about two fish in water not really appreciating that they were living in a watery world but since they were surrounded by it and really did not have any other life experience they did not realize that they lived in water. Such is the case for most people.
I find myself focused on my routine of getting up, working out, feeding the dog, going to work, talking to my wife, walking the dog, eating dinner, cleaning up, and going to bed to do it again. Lather, rinse, repeat.....
So that is pretty fixed as a routine goes but what DFW channels is that we can choose to be sucked into the trap and mindlessly go through the motions or find ways to make the most of the time by finding moments within the cycle to observe and detach from the hamster wheel. We do have a choice to be in monotony or stimulation, but you have to recognize the trap before you step into it. Life before death*...
... there are all different kinds of freedom, and the kind that is most precious you will not hear much talk about much in the great outside world of wanting and achieving and "displaying". The really important kind of freedom involves attention and awareness and discipline and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them over and over in myriad petty, unsexy ways every day. https://web.ics.purdue.edu/~drkelly/DFWKenyonAddress2005.pdf
This idea alludes that we have a choice to let life happen to us or to take some control and observe and execute the freedom to take an interesting action.
Observe and appreciate your surroundings. While walking the dog pay attention to the shape of the tree, the color of the leaves, the sounds, smells. Feel the breeze, see the clouds. Taste the food.
Show simple courtesy and compassion to any living thing. While stuck in traffic, allow another car to enter your lane. Help someone by opening the door. Show gratitude.
Take a deep breath and feel the air enter your lungs.
Need to read something more by David Foster Wallace...also should see this movie. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416744/
*One more thought...The Immortal Words from the Way of Kings seem to channel this, “Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination. I will protect those who cannot protect themselves. I will protect even those I hate so long as it is right.” Perhaps Brandon Sanderson is also a DFW fan?
Comments