My favorite sci-fi book is probably Speaker for the Dead. It just resonated with me. The contrast between Ender's the destroyer of species who understands and feels remorse was so deftly revealed against his incarnation as Ender Speaker for the Dead. No other book had the runway to explore the maturation of the character who hated what he was good at and yet was able to understand that the role he had to play was important and necessary. Introspection and self loathing was necessary to make the reader feel the conflict within him.
Orson Scott Card masterfully plotted Ender's journey of savior to destroyer; guilt to atonement.
The Mistborn series made a similar impression on me. It was a fantastic wrap ups of an epic. The whole story left me fulfilled and with closure. They journey of Kelsier, Vin, Ruin, Preservation, Sazed completed in a most satisfying way. I was very impressed with the planning that Sanderson when through to bring the story to fruition.
I read the Mistborn series after the Way of Kings and I am glad for it. My concern after reading the subsequently published Way of Kings was that I liked Sanderson's writing but that I would likely be disappointed by Mistborn. I am happy to say that after reading Mistborn I feel it clearly superior to the Way of Kings.
Mistborn is a very philosophical book series. It covers a lot of ideas and thoughts including the role of government; obligations of the ruling and the ruled. Sanderson explores big topics such as religion, honor, sacrifice, search for truth, and faith.
I highly recommend the series.
Comments