I did not read a lot of non-fiction this year. I read or listened to a lot of fiction this year. I listened to the Vince Flynn series about Mitch Rapp. It was good for the drive to work but just popcorn for the mind. I like popcorn while I am consuming it; but, I do feel guilty that I should have eaten something better for me or better yet not had anything at all.
I did see the movie American Assassin which was better than the reviews suggested.
I did listen to Smoke and Mirrors a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman. It has an especially good short story about Sherlock Holmes and bees.
I did see the movie American Assassin which was better than the reviews suggested.
I did listen to Smoke and Mirrors a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman. It has an especially good short story about Sherlock Holmes and bees.
Non-Fiction books I read this year include Homo Deus, by Yuval Noah Harai; Einstein by Walter Issacson; and How Will You Measure Your Life? by Clayton Christensen.
Homo Deus is a great book. It is a whirlwind tour of humanity. Similiar to Guns Germs and Steel it is remarkable in how much is stuffed into the book. I really liked it.
Einstein is also a great book. Issacson did a great job describing Einstein's important discoveries including those during the annus mirabilis 1905.
How Will You Measure Your Life is just okay. Not a great book seems Christensen was contractually obligated to produce a book or he wanted to produce a self-help book that a vapid investment banker might glean a hint of introspection from. Something that such a person might read if it had a pretense of business strategy but surreptitiously be exposed to some self help topics.
Comments