I am currently reading the "The Golem and the Jinni" by Helene Wecker.
Really good book so far. I read this very interesting argument between the Rabbi and his nephew Michael what was the cause of their strained relationship. Basically Michael does not believe in specific religions because they create barriers between different peoples.
It occurred to me that many of the thoughts and biases we attribute to prejudice and racism may be more rooted in the idea of tribalism. We identify ourselves based on our history and experience. That which defines our culture is in some parts tribal and that may be some of the root of our fears of other peoples and cultures as we are not of the same tribe.
"I look at what we call faith, and all I see is superstition and subjugation. Al religions, not just Judaism. The create false divisions, and enslave us to fantasies, when we need to focus on the here and now. ....
But good deeds should come from our natural instinct toward brotherhood, no from tribalism! ....
...we must grow beyond it! Why reinforce our differences, and keep ancient laws, and never know the joy of breaking bread with our neighbors?"
The Rabbi's next statement...
"Because we are Jews!" his uncle shouted. "And that is how we live! Our laws remind us of who we are, and we gain strength from them! You, who are so eager to throw away your past --- what will you replace it with? What will you use to keep the evil in Man from outbalancing the good?"
"Laws that apply to everyone," said Michael. "that put all men on equal footing. I am no anarchist, Uncle, if that's what worries you!"
Comments